Wednesday, April 23, 2008

PRECES.

Lord have mercy(iii), Christ have mercy (iii) Lord have mercy (iii).

Our Father, Hail Mary.

And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil.

I will lay me down in peace. And take my rest.

I believe in God.

The resurrection of the body. And the life everlasting. Amen. Let us bless the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost. Let us praise Him and magnify Him for ever.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, in the firmament of Heaven. And to be praised and glorified and magnified for ever.

May the Almighty and Merciful Lord bless us and keep us.

Amen.

The Confession, Almighty God have Mercy, and absolution both at Prime and Complin through the whole year whenever the Confession is said. And it is said in a low voice so as scarcely to be heard by the Choir as follows:

Priest, looking towards the Altar: I confess to God, Blessed Mary, All Saints, turning to the choir, and to you: I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed: of my fault, looking toward the Altar, I beseech Holy Mary and All Saints of God, looking towards the choir, and you to pray for me.

The Choir responds, turning toward him. Almighty God, have mercy. afterwards, first turning to the Altar. I confess. Then turning to the Priest as the Priest did before.

Then the Priest says to the Choir. Almighty God have mercy upon you, forgive you all your sins, deliver you from all evil, preserve and strengthen you in goodness, and bring you to everlasting life. Amen.

The Almighty and Merciful Lord grant you absolution and remittion of all your sins, space for true repentance, amendment of life, and the grace and comfort of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Wilt Thou not turn again and quicken us. That Thy people may rejoice in Thee.

Shew us Thy Mercy, O Lord. And grant us Thy Salvation.

Vouchsafe, O Lord. to keep us this night without sin.

O Lord, have mercy upon us. Have mercy upon us.

O Lord, let Thy mercy lighten upon us. As our trust is in Thee.

Turn us again, O Lord God of Host. Shew the light of Thy Countenance and we Shall be whole.

Lord, hear my prayer. And let my cry come unto Thee.

The Lord be with you. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.

the Preces are said as above at Complin, through the whole year, both on double Feasts and on Simple even without Rulers of the Choir. Also on Ferias, except from Maundy Thursday till the Octave of Easter; but on all Ferias through Advent and from the I sunday after the Octave of Epiphany till Maundy Thursday, and from the I sunday after Trinity till Advent, whenever the Service is of the Feria; after the P. O Lord, let Thy mercy, follows immediately:

Hearken unto my voice, O Lord, when I cry unto Thee. Have mercy upon me and hear me.

Psalm LI.

HAVE mercy upon me, O God, after Thy great goodness: according to the multitude of Thy mercies do away mine offence.

Wash me throughly from my wickedness: and cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my faults: and my sin is ever before me.

Against Thee only have I sinned, and do this evil in Thy sight: that Thou mightest be justified in Thy saying, and clear when Thou art judged.

Behold, I was shapen in wickedness: and in sin hath my mother conceived me.

But lo, Thou requirest truth in the inward parts: and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.

Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness: that the bones which Thou hast broken may rejoice.

Turn Thy face from my sins: and put out all my misdeeds.

Make me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me.

Call me not away from Thy presence: and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.

Then Shall I teach Thy ways unto the wicked: and sinners shall be converted unto Thee.

Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, Thou that art the God of my health: and my Tongue shall sing of Thy righteousness.

Thou shall open my lips O Lord: and my mouth shall shew Thy praise.

For Thou desirest no sacrifice, else would I give it Thee. but Thou delightest not in burnt-offerings.

The sacrafice of God is a troubled spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, shall Thou not despise.

O be favourable and gracious unto Sion: build Thou the walls of Jerusalem

Then shalt Thou be pleased with sacrifice of righteousness, with the burnt-offerings and oblations: then shall they offer young bullocks upon Thine altar.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son: and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be: world without end. Amen.

The whole Psalm is said with Glory be, and As it was, without note. and then everthing is said kneeling from the commencement of the I Lord have mercy, till after the collect—even the confession, Almighty God have mercy, and Absolution; but the Priest alone stands up immediately after the psalm, saying

O Lord arise, help us. And deliver us for Thy Names sake. Turn un again, O Lord God of Hosts. Shew the light of Thy countenance and we shall be whole.

Lord, hear my prayer.

And let my cry come unto Thee.

The Lord be with you.

And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.

Collect.

LIGHTEN our darkness, we beseech Thee, O Lord God:

and by Thy mercy defend us from all perils of this night. Through Jesus Christ Thy Son, our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God world without end. Amen.

The Lord be with you.

And with thy spirit.

Bless be the Lord.

Thanks be to God.

This collect with the Chapter, Thou, O Lord and the P. Keep us, are said at Complin through the whole year, except from Maundy Thursday till the Octave of Easter.

Every day through the year after Complin and after Mattins of the day, except on double Feasts and during the Ocative of Corpus Christi, of the visitation, Assumption, and nativity of Blessed Mary, of the Dedication of a Church, and of the Name of Jesus, and on All Souls' day and on Christmas-Eve, and thence till the I Sunday after the Ocatve of Epiphany, and from the Wednesday before Easter till the I sunday after Trinity, the following Psalm is said without note, kneeling , for the Peace of the Church.


PSALM CXXIII.

UTO Thee lift I up mine eyes: O Thou that dwelleth in the heavens.

Behold, even as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their master, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress: even so our eyes wait upon the Lord our God, until He have mercy upon us.

Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy upon us: for we are utterly despised.

Our soul is filled with the scornful reproof of the wealthy: and with the despitefulness of the proud.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son: and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be: world without end. Amen.

The Psalm ended, then follows, Lord have mercy. Christ have mercy. Lord have mercy. Our Father.

Then the Officiant says alound, without note.

And lead us not into temptation.

But deliver us from evil.

O Lord, arise, help us.

And deliver us for Thy Name's sake..

Turn us again, O Lord, God of Hosts. Shew the light of Thy countenance and we shall be whole.

Lord, hear my prayer.

And let me cry come unto Thee.

The Lord be with you.

And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.

Collect.

O LORD, graciouslly receive the prayer of Thy Church, that by the destruction of all adversity and error, ###the may serve### Thee in safety and freedom: and grant us Thy peace all the days of our life. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Lord be with you.

And with thy spirit.

Bless the Lord.

Thanks be to God.

This said the Priest and the clerks rise from their knees, killing the forms.



After Complin this prayer only is said.

May the souls of the Faithful through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.

the general rule is, that all Clerks (and a fortiori, the boys) should stand throughout Complin; but when Psalm LI is said, the Preces are said kneeling: during XL. the commencement of the Office, i.e., as far as the verse Turn us, is said kneeling. The prayers for the peace of the Church are also said kneeling. During XL Psalm. CXLIII. is said at complin after Psalm LI.

PSALM CXLIII.

Hear my prayer, O Lord, and consider my desire: hearken unto me for Thy truth and righteousness' sake.

And enter not into judgement with Thy servant: for in Thy sight shall no man living be justified.

For the enemy hath persecuted my soul: he hath smitten my life down to the ground: he hath laid me in the darkness, as the men that have been long dead.

Therefore is my spirit vexed within me: and my heart within me is desolate.

Yet Do I remember the time past; I muse upon all Thy works: yea, I exercise myself in the works of Thy hands.

I stretch forth my hands unto Thee: my soul gaspeth unto Thee as a thirsty land.

Hear me, O Lord, and that soon, for my spirit waxeth faint: hide not Thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.

O let me hear Thy loving-kindness bedtime in the morning, for in Thee is my trust: shew Thou me the way that I should walk in, for I lift up my soul unto Thee.

Deliver me, O Lord, form mine enemies: for I fless unto Thee to hide me.

Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth Thee, for Thou art my god: let Thy loving Spirit lead me forth into the land of righteousness.

Quicken me, O Lord, for Thy Name's sake: and for Thy righteousness' sake bring my soul out of trouble.

And of Thy goodness slay mine enemies: and destroy all them that vex my soul; and destroy all them that vex my soul; for I am Thy servant.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost: As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be: world without end. Amen.

No comments: