Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Complin VII.

Complin VII.

On the I Sunday in XL.; Antiphon over the Psalms. Lord, lift Thou up the light of Thy countenance upon us: Thou hast put gladness in my heart. Psalm. Hear me.

Chapter. Thou, O Lord.

Clerk. R. I will lay me down.

Let the Choir continue. In peace and take my rest.

Clerk. P. If I suffer I mine eyes to sleep and mine eyelids to slumber. Choir. And take my rest.

Clerk. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost.

Choir. I will lay me down in peace and take my rest.

Hymn(P.H. 435).

CHRIST, Thou, Who art the Light and Day,

Who chasest nightly shades away,

Thyself the Light of Light confessed,

And Promiser of radiance blest:

O Holy Lord, We pray to Thee,

Throughout the night our guardian be;

In Thee vouchsafe us to repose,

All peaceful till the night shall close.


Let not dull sleep our spirit quell,

Ward off from us our foe of hell,

Nor let the flesh with him unite

To make us guilty in Thy sight.


O let our eyes due slumber take,

Our hearts to Thee for ever wake;

And let Thy right hand from above

Shield us who turn to Thee in love.


O strong Defender, hear our prayers,

Repel our foes and break their snares,

And govern Thou Thy servants here,

Those ransomed with Thy life-blood dear.


Think on us, Lord of boundless reign,

Whilst in the body we remain;

Thou, of the soul most certain ward,

be ever present with us, Lord.


All lauds to God the Father be,

All lauds, Eternal Son, to Thee

All laud as is for ever meet,

To God the Holy Paraclete. Amen.

P. Keep us.

Antiphon, When Thou seest the naked cover thou him, and hide not thyself from thine own flesh; then shall thy light break forth as the morning and the glory of the Lord shall gather thee up. Psalm. Lord, now lettest.

Here follow the Preces.

This Antiphon, namely, Lord, left Thou up, and the R. I will lay me down, and the Hymn, Christ, Thou Who art, are said daily at Complin till Passion Sunday, of whatever the Service may be. But the Antiphon over Lord, now lettest, for a fortnight.

No comments: